New ‘How to’ guide to asking for an EHC needs assessment

By January 8, 2019 News No Comments

Asking for an EHC needs assessment for your child or young person can feel like a challenge and lots of parents worry about what they should say and what information they need to send. Our new ‘How to’ guide is here to help!

As a parent, carer or guardian, you can apply for an EHC needs assessment for your child or young person. You don’t need your child’s nursery, school or college to apply as well, or need to ask for their permission or agreement. But it does help to work together with your child’s school or college whenever you can.

If you decide to apply for a needs assessment, then our helpful guide takes you step by step through the process. You’ll find out how to apply and how to fill out the request form. There are tips to help you complete each section of the form. There is also guidance about the most useful information to send with your application and the different kinds of special educational needs there are.

If your young person is age 16 to 25 then they will need to complete the form if they can, and there’s advice for you about how to support them with that. Finally there’s details of other organisations and resources that can help you too.

You can get your download here: How to Guide Asking for an EHC needs assessment (PDF 214kb)

Leave a comment about this news story

Contact Us