DIAS supports a number of parents and carers who home educate their children, or are thinking about it for all kinds of reasons. Elective home education has been a bit of a hot topic in the news lately too, so we’ve published a comprehensive ‘How to Guide’ to help you learn more about it and choose what’s best for your child or young person.
It can be a big decision to home educate, and it can affect every aspect of your family life, so it’s important to think it through and explore all your options. As well as the benefits of home education, there are downsides too.
Based on the questions DIAS Officers get asked everyday about home education, this practical guide gives you information about:
- your rights and your responsibilities for your child’s education
- what to think about if you’d like to home educate, including some of the main pros and cons
- the help that’s available to home educators and how to get the most out of it
- home education if your child has an EHC plan
- how to help your child or young person go back to school after a period of home education.
Click on the title to download a PDF document of Elective Home Education How to Guide
Published April 2018