We have put together a list of useful resources and support to help you through these challenging times. Feel free to share others with us.
Information about coronavirus for children and young people
- Easy Read Online – Easy Read information leaflet
- Mencap – Easy Read Information
- Place to Be – Coronavirus: Helpful information to answer questions from children
- BBC Newsround – Coronavirus: How did it start, what are the symptoms and other FAQs
- Carol Gray (suggested by National Autistic Society) MyStoryAbout Pandemics and the Coronavirus
- InEQUE safeguarding group – An animation & Story Book Explaining the Coronavirus to Children
- Photosymbols – Three picture based posters about coronavirus for people with learning disabilities.a
- InEQUE safeguarding group – Makaton and images based information
- Special Needs Jungle – Calming coronavirus anxiety in children – information for parents and carers
- Young Minds – What to do if you’re anxious about coronavirus – information for young people
- Littlepuddins – Social story for children with autism
- Sophie’s Stories – Therapeutic story for children – Stay at home superheroes
- British Psychological Society – Talking to children about Coronavirus
- Childline – Support for children and young people including their helpline and tips for coping when you’re off school
Managing the days at home
- Common Sense Media (US website) – How to keep kids learning when they’re stuck at home
- Action for Children. A list of inexpensive and easy activities you can do with your children
- DiAS – Factsheet – Educating your child or young person at home (contains some useful resources)
- Chatterpack – Free home Learning Resources List for Schools and Families
- Education Otherwise – Activities and resources
- Twinkl – Free Learning Resources at Twinkl
- BBC Bitesize: Help with homework and learning. Find free videos, step-by-step guides, activities and quizzes by level and subject.
- Common Sense Media (US website) – Resources for Families During the Coronavirus Pandemic, including free educational apps, information and advice on home schooling
- TED-ed – All kinds of educational videos and materials – To support children and parents, TED-Ed is working with educators to create and share high-quality, interactive, video-based lessons on a daily basis, for free.
Support and information for you
- Carers UK Coronavirus guidance – getting prepared and protecting those you can for
- Youngminds Parent Helpline Open Monday – Friday from 9.30am – 4pm and intends to operate through the current coronavirus situation. If you are worried about your child’s mental health during this difficult time call them on: 0808 8025544.
- British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy – Coronavirus anxiety: how to cope if you’re feeling anxious about the outbreak