Many children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) may also have additional social care needs that need to be considered. They may have an Education Health and Care plan (EHC plan) or an Early Help plan.

The Local Authority (LA) has specific duties to identify, assess and provide certain services, when it is necessary to meet the child’s or young person’s needs, and to safeguard and promote the welfare of children in their area.

The information in this section is around specific elements of Social Care that are directly connected to the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities of a child or young person.

When looking for information concerning social care it is important to know that in Social Care law, a child is anyone under the age of 18 and not 16. Different law and guidelines are given here that relate to children 0-18 and adults (18 and over).

EHC plans

Early Help

Early help


The Devon and Torbay Safeguarding site has lots of information around safeguarding issues for both children and young people as well as for parents and carers

The Care Act


To find out more about what Devon is doing in terms of Social Care and how you can get involved or have a voice you may want to take a look at the Devon Parent Carers Voice website.

If you want to make a complaint to Devon County Council about an issue relating to Children’s Social Services then you will need to follow their guidelines.

Share this: